Monday 11 August 2014

Last weekend.

The girls' dad picked them up at 6:30am on Sat. We had to stay in all day to wait for a parcel so we made the most of it!

S put together a wardrobe we have had sitting upstairs for a couple of months. Although our house is furnished, there wasn't enough wardrobe space. I had a look in the BHF shop a few times as they usually have good, sturdy furniture for a low price. I've bought wardrobes from there before, solid wood ones that were decades old for only about £50. Unfortunately I couldn't find anything this time though, so we got this set. It was really handy as I'd just moved L into her own room at the time (she and R had shared previously) so she got the shelves and we got the wardrobe.

Once that was up, I spent the day sorting out bits and pieces. Clean laundry that hadn't been out away, random boxes of stuff, relocating make-up and things. Our room looks so much better now! I need to do a bit more tidying in there today and then vacuum, and then the plan is to hopefully keep it tidy. We aren't the tidiest people!

We also dyed my hair so it is now dip-dyed turquoise!

All in all a no-spend day as we went nowhere but were productive. I also came up with an amazing tea, which was 1/2 pack cooking bacon, 3/4 pack gnocchi, 1/2 pack soft cheese, 1/2 block cheddar and a few handfuls of kale and peas, topped with fried cherry tomatoes. It was the creamiest, cheesiest sauce I've ever had and we will definitely be making it again. Approx cost: £1.75; kale was free from Morrisons, peas and tomatoes would have cost pennies as they were from the value range but I've included them roughly. Less than 90p per serving and I'd have happily paid £5 in a pub served with garlic bread.

Sunday was a lazy day. We were planning to go to a bar in Newcastle for my birthday meal but I actually forgot until Saturday! We already celebrated with the kids on Wednesday and that feels like ages ago now. The bar in question serves the most amazing steaks I've ever had. We went last year when I won a £50 voucher at work and paid £12 each for the steaks on a special offer (the rest went on cocktails!) I've been wanting to go ever since, although the price had gone up so it would have been £14 each. In the end though I decided at almost 7 months pregnant, I know my body and I know after a big meal I'd rather just go straight to bed to chill rather than enduring a 25 minute metro ride and 15 minute walk. So we decided to go to our local instead!

We don't really drink, but we do enjoy the food at our local. It's a Greene King pub, and has great offers. For kids, it's £3.49 for a 2 course meal and a drink and then adults have daily specials. We actually visited on Friday too as a treat for the kids. But on Sunday, we decided that would be a good compromise. I got a standard Sunday roast which comes with roasties, carrots, peas, broccoli, gravy, Yorkshire pud and half a roast chicken. S got the large meal, which comes with extra roasties and veg plus a whole turkey drumstick *as well as* the half roast chicken or beef which comes as standard. He got a Guinness and I had a pint of lemonade, and for afters we had churros to share. Altogether it came to £19.66 but we had a voucher for £5 off, printed from their site, so we only paid £14.66 - bargain considering if we'd gone to Newcastle, we'd have paid £28 for food, £9 for travel plus drinks on top of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment