Monday 1 September 2014

This weekend.

Oh dear, I've woken up feeling pretty crappy this morning. I've been sick and still feel sick. I'm also feeling a bit down which I attribute to feeling ill!

S has had a 3 day weekend. On Friday we did basically nothing, just lay around all day and watched a film (The Uninvited). We weren't that thrilled with it, but the ending was good and now we plan to watch the Korean original.

On Saturday we spent the day relaxing/napping again then on the evening went out for a meal with my family to celebrate my niece, M, going off to uni. She's going to York, which is far away from the point of view that nobody in our family has ever moved out of the county to go to uni, but close enough that she can come home any time she wants. We went to Nandos, which I'd never tried before - it was okay but I wouldn't choose to go again. We spent about £25 on food and drink, plus £11 on a card and Tesco gift card for M - so not a particularly frugal evening, but worth it IMO as a one-off for the enjoyment of seeing my family.

Yesterday, again we spent time relaxing and we also watched Paranormal Activity: The Marked Ones. It was quite good... But I prefer the original series. We had Sunday dinner consisting of turkey, mashed carrot and swede (my favourite!), Yorkshire puds, roasties and cheesy courgette. The cheesy courgette was something I found on Pinterest which looks horrible but tastes lovely, such a comfort food. It's not one of my favourite dishes that I've found on Pinterest but I'd definitely have it again.

Today S is back to work & I'm home alone til about 19:30. I have a to-do list of cleaning and organising jobs but some of these can roll over onto tomorrow or Wednesday morning - which is just as well considering how yucky I feel!

One job I do need to do, though, is making pasta sauce in the slow cooker. I very, very rarely buy pasta sauce but usually I just add a tin of chopped tomatoes and then add other ingredients as I go along. This time, I'm going loosely from a recipe on Pinterest but I'll add the usual suspects too such as Worcester sauce, plus grated carrot and cherry tomatoes as I have some that are past their best. Then I'm planning to blend it, use some for tea tonight, and freeze the rest. As well as being healthier and more convenient, I'm hoping the smoother texture will appeal more to the kids - and the hidden veg is certainly a bonus too!

No comments:

Post a Comment